Tuesday, December 4, 2007

misunderstood genius, not

I gave my incoherent Nietzsche and Foucault reading misunderstood-genius-student a second chance to do better on the PowerPoint assignment. I have never done this before, but I thought the one slide he had prepared for a confusing presentation must have been the result of underestimating the time involved, or being preoccupied by the content. So today this student presented again on a new topic with my reluctant approval since it only remotely relates to the course. And what did he do? He came ten minutes late to class, had copied more or less everything from a wikipedia page without even changing the formatting. What an insult to the hard working students who had put time and effort into their presentations. Complaining that university education in general is boring and not challenging enough, walking around with important books, but then insulting all present with a presentation that was no presentation but a wikipedia page pasted into four PowerPoint slides … I am left speechless.

1 comment:

Bardiac said...

Arrogance is less becoming than we sometimes think when we're young. Alas.