Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What do you know...


Another picture from last Sunday. This little shrub rose just continues to flower, probably the last buds that will open. It is going to be cold tonight, maybe even frost. I just carried some of my potted plants inside. The angel trumpet has two more blooms, but the plant is too large, it has to stay outside. We will see if the foliage survives the night.
I finally graded two written M.A. exams from two different students. Both had opted to write a thesis, excellent results for both of them, innovative and original, and the two outside thesis committee members were impressed with our students. But the written exams? Student one wrote all she new on the topic, but barely interpreted the text as she was supposed to do, that was disappointing. And student two did not do much better, the crown jewel is the following statement: "When Luther started working on his translation of the New Testament, central Europe just recovered from the Thirty Year War." I just want to shake her - I understand stress, yes, but how can you come up with something like that??? How can you write this really good thesis, which could easily become an outstanding dissertation, and then mix up history in such a way that I do no need gel any more for my hair to stand up...

No comments: